The Interpreter provides oral interpretations and/or written translations in specified languages(s) and maintains accurate and timely records of all interpretation encounters. Interpreters identify and assist in fulfilling the psychosocial needs of the limited-English speaking patients, visitors and guests. Interpretations will be conducted in person and over the phone as business needs dictate.
1. Education/Specialized Training/Licensure: High School Diploma or GED; and must be competent and proficient orally in Spanish and English.
2. Work Experience (Years and Area): One (1) year of experience in medical interpretation in a healthcare setting or equivalent experience required; healthcare experience preferred. Must pass an interpretation proficiency examination as designated by Harris Health System (Spanish required.)
3. Management Experience (Years and Area): N/A
4. Equipment Operated: Computer, Fax Machine, Copy Machine, Projector, Adding Machine, Multiline phone.
1. Communication Skills:
Above Average Verbal (Heavy Public Contact) X
Exceptional Verbal (Public Speaking)
Bilingual Skills Required Yes X or No
Writing/Composing: Correspondence / Reports
2. Other Skills:
Medical Term., Typing (wpm)(PC), Microsoft Office
3. Advanced Education Preference:
Advanced Training: Specialty:
4. Work Schedule: Weekends, Holidays, Flexible
5. Other Requirements: Must be able to answer written questions in the desired language(s) and demonstrate the ability to interpret in the target language. Proficiency assessment/competency: Candidates must pass a language proficiency examination in medical terminology, Spanish and English. Exhibits high standards of professionalism and integrity, works harmoniously with internal and external customers, and maintains client confidentiality.