We have an opportunity for a Discharge Assistant in the Temple Medical Center.
The Discharge Assistant leads patient post-acute appointment needs on assigned unit, communicates directly with attending providers about post-acute appointment and order needs in unit rounds, and independently schedules follow-up physician, lab, procedural, and financial business office appointments, correctly linking orders to appointment and payor mix. The Discharge Assistant also assists the RN Care Manager and Social Work staff with safe and effective transfer in the movement of patients across the care continuum. In addition, the Discharge Assistant has the following responsibilities:
· Schedules, reschedules and cancels physician appointments for post-discharge follow up. Compiles patient information such as diagnosis, reason for appointment procedure, medications, allergies and other applicable information prior to scheduled appointment or procedure
· Schedules appointments at patient hospital bedside, if possible and confirms with patient and family all scheduled appointment dates and times. Also ensures appointments or procedures are placed onto the discharge orders and instructions
· Ensures all appointments are linked to correct case, guarantor, and insurance plan
· Manages the unit scheduling orders work queue, ensuring that all orders are linked to appointments or procedures for follow up care after hospitalization
· Copies, prints and transfers medical information to post-acute services, providers and payors after release of information obtained from patient or legal representative of patient
· Creates memos and letters for patients as requested by physician or other hospital care providers
· Arranges ambulance and wheelchair transportation for patient discharges and hospital transfers as needed
· Reviews and completes Medicare Important Message Notice of Hospital Discharge with all inpatient and behavioral health hospital admissions for Medicare beneficiaries in hospital greater than 48 hours
· Verifies and updates patient demographics, insurance status, and other relevant patient information
The ideal candidate will have strong working knowledge of patient appointment and procedure scheduling rules, insurance, Medicare and Medicaid, Health InsurancePortability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and medical terminology as well as a passion for interacting with individuals of diverse backgrounds.
KEY SUCCESS FACTORS Knowledge of patient appointment and procedure scheduling rules.
Knowledge of insurance, Medicare and Medicaid.
Knowledge of Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
Knowledge of medical terminology.
Ability to interact with individuals of diverse backgrounds.
Location/Facility – Temple Medical Center
Specialty/Department/Practice - Case Management / Social Work
Shift/Schedule – Full Time Days to include some weekends
Baylor Scott & White Health (BSWH) is the largest not-for-profit health care system in Texas and one of the largest in the United States. With a commitment to and a track record of innovation, collaboration, integrity and compassion for the patient, BSWH stands to be one of the nation’s exemplary health care organizations. Our mission is to serve all people by providing personalized health and wellness through exemplary care, education and research as a Christian ministry of healing. Joining our team is not just accepting a job, it’s accepting a calling!