At Banner - University Medical Group (BUMG), we're creating a world class medical organization that brings together a leadership team committed to a physician-focused structure, while navigating the challenges of moving from a volume-based to value-based health care system.
This position will be at the Orthopedic & Sports Medicine Institute and Concussion Clinic located at Banner University Medical Center in Phoenix. Whether you have back pain, joint issues, torn ligaments or a complex fracture, we treat all injuries and disorders of the musculoskeletal system. Our doctors use advanced surgical and minimally invasive techniques to reduce pain and get you moving.
As the Medical Assistant/Registration Rep of these busy and growing clinics, you will perform secretarial, reception, medical assisting and initial patient needs assessment functions.
This is a full time, day shift, Monday-Friday 8:00A-5:00P.
University Medical Center Phoenix PBCs Banner - University Medical Center Phoenix is a nationally recognized academic medical center. The world-class hospital is focused on coordinated clinical care, expanded research activities and nurturing future generations of highly trained medical professionals. Our commitment to nursing excellence has enabled us to achieve Magnet(tm) recognition by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. The Phoenix campus, long known for excellent patient care, has over 730 licensed beds, a number of unique specialty units and is the new home for medical discoveries, thanks to our collaboration with the University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix. Additionally, the campus responsibilities include fully integrated multi-specialty and sub-specialty clinics, and with a new $400 million campus investment, a new patient tower and 2 new clinic buildings will be built.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for performing secretarial, reception, medical assisting and initial patient needs assessment functions. Provides outstanding customer service and ensures a smooth patient flow process by providing services in admissions, financial counseling, billing, scheduling patients, paperwork completion, explanation of procedures, making of appointments, and conducts registration. Explains and obtains signatures on forms such as registration, medical history, Conditions of Admission, Financial Agreement, Advance Directive, and Hospital Grievance policy. Receives referrals from physicians, obtains authorizations and calls insurance plans for verifications. At time of service is able to receipt cash and record accurately as well as enter charges and perform charge reconciliation. Also assists clinicians in providing medical care and in office testing as well as implementing and evaluating direct patient care. Utilizes special knowledge, judgment and skills necessary to provide appropriate patient care.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Performs registration processes, verifies insurance coverage and obtains authorization notification. Accurately documents information and performs data-entry to ensure maximum reimbursement. Obtains necessary signatures specific to patients' insurance plan. Calculates patient liability according to verification of insurance benefits. Collects deposits and co-payments. Provides financial counseling for patients and their families by explaining financial policies and providing available resources for alternative payment arrangements. Assists patients and their families with completing financial documents when appropriate.
2. Serves as a liaison between the patient, billing department, and payor to enhance account receivables, resolve outstanding issues and/or patient concerns. Enters charges for services delivered and does daily charge reconciliation in a timely and accurate manner. Balances cash drawer at the beginning and end of the day and prepares daily bank deposit with necessary paperwork faxed to PBO. Adheres to all billing procedures including preparation of Medicare billing at the end of the month within specific timelines.
3. Responsible for scheduling of patients, families, procedures, and physician appointments. Assists in scheduling routine appointments within the medical practice(s) and external practices as necessary. Assists in obtaining pre-certification, referrals, authorizations, prescriptions refills and other medical testing as necessary. Responsible for communicating test results to patient. Acts as a resource to clinician in order to provide optimal patient care.
4. Optimizes patient flow by using effective customer service communication skills utilizing kindness, tact and courtesy to ensure positive patient response to service. Demonstrates proactive interpersonal communications skills when relating to internal and external customers. Uses discretion and is attentive to issues of customer confidentiality. Demonstrates skills in pro-active resolution and attempts to resolve scheduling conflicts.
5. Provides support to include, answering the phones, returning phone messages, pick-up/prioritizing/distributing mail, completing purchase requests, ordering supplies/forms, coordinating/scheduling meetings, maintaining and re-stocking exam rooms and lobby. Monitors inventory including medication/injectables and immunizations, i.e., expired medications, recalls and patient tracking. Responsible for the medical records for the assigned area. Ensures medical records are pulled and ready daily. Initiates obtaining needed records from hospitals, practices, and other ancillary departments. Follows guidelines and assists in developing procedures to ensure that medical records are in compliance with all state and federal laws.
6. Prepares patient for exam and treatment by taking and recording vitals signs, symptoms, medication list, symptoms and other necessary measurements and recording chief complaint. Reports condition of patient which may be indicative of changes of the patient's condition to the clinician. Assists providers with exams and minor office procedures and acts as a chaperon if needed.
7. Performs office-based testing and treatments related to patient care under supervision of a clinician. Performs and records daily/monthly quality control on all office based testing and treatment. Maintains a log book of results and lot numbers. Collects and prepares specimens for laboratory testing including phlebotomy. Uses universal blood and body fluid precautions at all times and personal protective equipment as needed.
8. Maintains a clean, functional environment including cleaning and disinfection of equipment, exam rooms and storage areas. Disinfects equipment and instruments using appropriate solutions following sterilization procedures through Materials Management. Follow's manufacturer's recommendations and OSHA guidelines of handling hazardous substances. Performs and records daily/monthly quality control on all equipment.
9. This position works under the direct supervision of the providers, following established procedures. Uses established knowledge and problem-solving skills with to work independently in a fast paced, multi-task environment. Responsibility for ensuring efficient coordination of billing processes, financial counseling, client scheduling, maintaining and handling of documentation, and patient flow. Interacts with all levels of staff internal and external, including patients and their families, physician offices, third party payors, vendors, clinical staff, ancillary staff, therapist, nurses and case managers. Also interacts with physician in order to report and ask for or clarify information. Prioritizes data from multiple sources to provide support for the response of the patient and family in changes in health status. Primary responsibility is to main department assigned, however cross-over and assistance to other departments is required.
High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge. Must be a graduate of an Accredited Medical Assisting Program and/or Certified Medical Assistant with experiential training in medical front office and insurance billing procedures.
Active Medical Assistant Certification is required. Certification or additional training must meet the requirements for Meaningful use. BLS certification required. Active Medical Assistant certification such as: Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) and proof of current membership from American Medical Technologists (AMT) Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) and proof of current membership from American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) and proof of current membership from National Health Career Association (NHA) (Test administered after 7/1/2017 only) National Certified Medical Assistant (NCMA) and proof of current membership from National Certified Competency Testing (NCCT)
Requires the ability to perform basic math functions and to assemble data into reports using spreadsheet programs. Must have the ability to handle confidential information and sensitive issues. Must be able to work under minimal supervision and make independent decisions using good judgment. Requires excellent communication, human relations, attention to detail and organizational skills. Requires the ability to multi-task activities. Must be able to communicate effectively to various ethnic and cultural backgrounds obtaining necessary resources when language barriers present. Requires the ability to perform efficiently with some analytical/problem solving skills. Requires exceptional interpersonal and communication skills. Requires the ability to manage multiple changing priorities in an effective and organized fashion.
Requires strong computer skills, including the ability to work with medical software.
One to two years of experience working with patient flow and/or similar medical office work preferred. Previous medical assisting experience in a healthcare setting preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.