In collaboration with Respiratory Department Leadership or appropriate administrator, coordinates the day-to-day operations of the Respiratory Care Department at assigned site. Supports departmental, hospital and system initiatives. Serves as a representative for Respiratory Care on clinical hospital committees. Works in collaboration with leadership to develop/implement staff in-services, coordinate quality improvement efforts, track quality improvement data as requested, and oversee all regulatory inspections / participate in regulatory surveys, as required. Develops and implements new hire orientation program, including departmental policies and procedures. In collaboration with department leadership, develops and implements annual educational competency program for staff, and ensures staff meet the competency requirements. May function as a technical consultant for blood gas laboratory. Completes department productivity and payroll reports, and reviews customer service surveys, as assigned. Coordinates staffing schedules and assignments. Delegates, oversees and guides staff in carrying out their respective duties.
Performs the duties of a Respiratory Therapist. Collaborates with other members of the health care team and family members in planning, implementing and evaluating patients' plan of care. Administers and instructs in many phases of Respiratory Therapy including tracheotomy care and long-term ventilation in patient nursing units. Assists physicians in providing respiratory care including some phases of pulmonary functions, screening and blood gas analysis. Provides respiratory education to nursing and other medical staff, as requested. Performs other duties as assigned and within scope of responsibility/credentials. Monitors activities to ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations Joint Commission requirements, and DMC policies and procedures.
1. Associate's degree in a related technical or administrative discipline, or the equivalent combination of education and/or experience. Bachelor's degree in Science, Allied Health or Health Administration preferred.
2. Two to three years progressively more responsible Respiratory Care experience.
3. Registered Respiratory Therapist by the National Board of Respiratory Care.
4. Licensure to practice as a Respiratory Therapist in the State of Michigan.
1. Analytical ability to gather and interpret data, to identify discrepancies, problems or issues, to obtain advice when precedents are unclear or unavailable and to determine methods for ensuring compliance with functional/organizational/service policies and procedures.
2. Communication and/or interpersonal skills for routine contacts with internal and some external customers/stakeholders to discuss primarily factual information. Some discretion and conflict resolution skills are exercised, primarily with people within the unit/function. Courtesy and listening skills are required. The ability to read and comprehend procedures and technical literature in specific functional area is necessary.
3. Project management skills including the ability to define program, project, or process objectives, identify stakeholders and their interests, plan steps, coordinate and allocate human, technological and fiscal resources to accomplish goals and objectives in a resourceful yet timely manner.
4. Leadership skills including demonstrated willingness to pursue leadership roles with increasing levels of accountability, comfort with decision-making responsibilities, coaching, teaching and counseling skills, and the ability to inspire and build confidence in others and to forge alliances and garner support.
5. Skills necessary to evaluate patient conditions and operate all Respiratory Care and Pulmonary Function equipment.
6. Skills necessary to calculate and regulate respiratory therapy modalities.
Job: Respiratory Therapy
Primary Location: Detroit, Michigan
Facility: DMC Children's Hospital of Michigan
Job Type: Full-time
Shift Type: Days
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Internal Number: 1905036937
About DMC Children's Hospital of Michigan
“Tenet Healthcare Corporation is a diversified healthcare services company with 115,000 employees united around a common mission: to help people live happier, healthier lives. Through its subsidiaries, partnerships and joint ventures, including United Surgical Partners International, the Company operates general acute care and specialty hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care centers and other outpatient facilities. Tenet's Conifer Health Solutions subsidiary provides technology-enabled performance improvement and health management solutions to hospitals, health systems, integrated delivery networks, physician groups, self-insured organizations and health plans.